Friday, October 06, 2006

The rusty object continues

wednesdays efforts resulted in this:

A large piece of paper with torn edges, with a wash of grey/green acrylic applied. Then tissue paper & sand/pva glue mix to add some texture.

I did actually begin to add some colour and more texture on wednesday, but um, the whole class found that perhaps a bit too much texture had been added!

We were advised to bring in some wire wool for thursday!



Thursday was spent doing actual mark-making to build the surface & represent the rust & texture rather than just using paint/pastel/pigment/pencil.


this is at the end of thursday:

You can still see the moulding paste and tissue etc. at the top of the sheet, but the bottom looks a bit more like rust & degraded plastic!


Here's some detail:

There's layers & layers of oil pastel, soft pastel and pencil over the paint, trying to re-create the surface texture.

I am getting there, but it's certainly going to need a lot more work.

I also has a tutorial on wednesday - we talked a bit about the course & how I've found it with having had no art background (I was a scientist/engineer) and it is weird. The language used is different, the ways to describe my work have had to be re-learnt & the context of materials and processes has been expanded.

I'm really looking forward to the next few months & using knitting in different ways - wait for the pictures - I've got ideas for knitting & silicone, resin & even fireworks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home